Why Privacy Matters Online
The internet is inherently insecure!
- Everything on the net is owned by america, and thus the fbi.
- They were the ones who created it!
- Always be careful of what you put online; it is there, forever.
You are being tracked more than you think.
- Phones are worse, as most have either apple or android, and android is made by google.
- Basically, Anything on the internet is traceable.
Patriot Act (and the other act)
- Changed the world as we know it, a full 20 years ago.
- Took away many of our freedom rights, especially online
- This act essentially allows America to spy on anyone that it claims to be able to under it, which is why America is the worst country for privacy laws (after China).
- In 2013, Edward Snowden, a former CIA agent, leaked sensitive documents of how the fbi works with big corpos to spy on the people of america, and thus with the power of the internet, the world
- There were talks in the infant era of the web that mass surveillance could be a thing. This proved it.
- But yet, most people dont understand, dont care, or havent even heard of this. Why? If you knew, they couldnt spy on you!
Prism and others
GET A WARRANT!!!
There are ways to prevent this!
- Computer: use addons like: – Umatrix, privacy possum, decentraleyes, TPRB (Third-Party Request Blocker)
- Apple: Lockdown, to block certain connections
- Android: NetGuard to block all connections from certain apps
Use Decentralized/Dederated Servers!
- Every website on the internet has a server. (pic) It sends data of its users to the server. (there is no “just checking” a site)
- That means, if you dont own the server, you dont own your data
- This is a problem, as privacy should be a fundamental right that is being taken away from us more and more everyday.
- Using your own servers or ones of those you trust is a lot more safer way to browse the web.
Use a Password Manager!
- Bitwarden (should host own)
- Keepass XC
- gpg-encrypted textfile
- These are all free!
- Many are paid like dashlane, 1pass, lastpass
- they all look and function the same as Bitwarden. Dont buy into the hype!
Use a VPN to hide your IP!
- Dont let your ISP/nosy router owners spy on you!
- Without one, every site you visit is logged. (Really. Check yourself in your router).
- Thats why https is good, bc it encrypts the site after the domain (eg. everything after .com/.ca is not shown to isp if not using a vpn, but on an https site.)
- Good vpns: Mullvad
Dont Use Big Tech!
- All of these sites implement data tracking, selling, spying, bloated sites, dark patterns, addictive marketing, censorship, and behavioural grooming. Be careful.